25 August 2006

Emily's Basic Mitered Square

Well, this isn't exactly an original pattern, but I did make up this variation on my own (as far as I know). So if you want to give it a whirl go for it and let me know how it turns out for you!

Mitered Square:
- Worsted weight yarn (really any kind will work)
- sz. 9 needles (you can go up or down to change your gauge)

CO 40 sts.
Row 1 (WS): k across
Row 2 (RS): k 18, k2tog, k2tog, k18 (36 sts remain)
Row 3 (WS): k across
Row 4 (RS): k 17, k2tog, k2tog, k17 (32 sts remain)
Row 5: k across
Row 6: k 16, k2tog, k2tog, k16
Continue in established pattern until only 4 sts remain.
Row 38 (RS): k2tog, k2tog (2 sts remain)
Row 39 (WS): k across
Row 40: k2tog (1 st remains)
Row 41: k 1, pull yarn through and cut.

Here is the result (at least for me!):



I made these with the same yarn - Sugars 'n Cream - with two strands held together. The smaller is on the sz. 9 (as called for by the pattern above), the second is on sz. 13. Using two strands makes the squares nice and thick; I use the first one as a potholder and hotpad in the kitchen. I am going to make a few more of the second bigger square, seam them all together, and use them as a bathrug.

So there you have it!

1 comment:

Kandiss said...

bath rug! jeez. i wish i was as savvy as you. i WISH.