02 September 2007

The best sandwich you'll ever eat ...


This was appropriately posted on VeganYumYum on my birthday. And it is the most delicious sandwich I have ever had in my entire life. I'm just straight re-pasting it here because I like pictures.

http://veganyumyum.com/2007/08/tomato-basil-sandwiches/


Tomato Basil Sandwiches
Makes 1 Sammich

2-3 Roma Tomatoes, sliced lengthwise 1/4″ thick
1 Generous Pinch Salt
1 Tbs Olive Oil
1-2 Pinches Dried Italian Herbs
1 Splash Balsamic Vinegar

2 Slices Sourdough
Tofutti Cream Cheese
4-5 Basil Leaves
Black Pepper

Heat a skillet over medium heat with oil and herbs. Once hot, add tomatoes in one layer. Give the pan a little shake and flip the tomatoes about. Add salt. Once they are beginning to soften, but not falling apart, add a splash of balsamic vinegar while shaking the pan. Turn off heat. This process should only take a few minutes.

Spread your bread with tofutti, add chopped basil and pepper. Place tomatoes on top of that. Grill sandwich with a weight on top. If you’re not grilling, simply toast the bread first, then add tofutti and tomatoes.


I think my favorite thing about VeganYumYum is how fantastic the pictures are of the food. I need to work on getting good lighting in my apartment so that I can take better shots of the stuff I make.

My only sandwich suggestion: if you don't have fresh basil, don't bother making it. The fresh basil makes this sandwich. As does fresh ground black pepper. Mmmm. I also only needed one tomato for a sandwich. It all depends on how big your sourdough is, and how big the roma tomatoes are I suppose.

No comments: